Saturday 9 February 2019

Circular No 901







Newsletter for alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.
Caracas, 9 February 2019 No. 901
-------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,
Below is an interesting narrative of Douglas Houk in a Series of Emails with Don Mitchell.
-------------------------------
19 September 2018
Douglas: Hi there, Don, my name is Douglas Houk.  I don’t know if you remember me but I was at the Mount from Prep B till the end.  I joined the U.S Navy in 1967 and was in Vietnam till the end of that dumb war in 1970, and from there I went to work as a roughneck.  I quit when the rig moved too far away.  I started an inspection company and did pretty good till now.
Because Venezuela is broke, wish me luck.
Don: I remember you very well. It is so good to hear from you.
Have you given Ladislao a note on your activities since you left Mount?  He likes to put little biographies in the Circulars from time to time, accompanied by photographs, perhaps one of you in the army, and one of you on an oil-rig?
I have a Yahoo address for you.  Are you receiving the notices I send out about the Circulars?  I ask because you don’t mention how you come to be contacting me. It may be from receiving the Circular notices. Do you prefer this Gmail address?  If so, I can easily change it.
Douglas: Well Don I do remember you and your brother Gordon and the nickname Box Head.  Kids will be kids I guess.  When I left the Mount I went to another private school and finished there. Then I joined the U S Navy and went to Vietnam.  I was 19 and I thought I was tough Stuff and got taught I was not.  But all in all it was a good time for me.
Don: Yes, you have Gordon and me identified.
I really hope you can get a platform (not one of those unmanageable South Korean schoolgirl’s Samsung phone) to prepare a short bio to send to Ladislao so he can put it in the Circulars. There are plenty of Old Boys out there that have been wondering if you are alive and well.
So, which schools did you attend after Mount; which actions in Vietnam were you present at;  what happened to you in Vietnam and after you left; who did you marry (first, second and third, if necessary); who are the children if any; who did they marry, and how many grandchildren did they present you with; what have you been doing since the Navy; which were the oil companies; what oilfields did you work in; when did you retire; what are you doing since you retired. Things like that.
It would be great to hear the details.
20 September
Douglas: Hey there Don are you all going to have some kind of get together for the old boys from Mount?
If you are, please let know. I would really like to see how we all grew old.
Don: If you saw the last Circular it is all explained there. Here is the link: 
21 September
Douglas: Hi there Don, when I left the Mount my uncle got me a job as an office boy  and after that I went to a private school in Trinidad.  I left there and went to my father in New York where I Joined the navy and went to Vietnam. 
Vietnam was a whole different world.  I did 3 tours and that was it for me.  I was lucky.
22 September
Douglas:Hi again Don.  When I left the Mount I went to a remedial school and got my GCE which l had to get to get to join the Navy.  I was in boot camp which lasted 2 months and then on to my first ship.  All in all I had a ball in the navy but I didn't like all the BS regulations and got in trouble quite a bit.
23 September
Don: I am really looking forward to a vivid description of your various ships and naval adventures and all the roustabouting tales of your career :-)
24 September
Douglas:  Well Don I worked in Venezuela and started an oilfield Inspection company and did pretty good until the Venezuelan politicians stole everything.  So I came back to Houston and I am now beholden to the Texas government to keep me eating.  But I am not griping, I made some pretty good money in Venezuela and met a lot of Venezuelans here in Houston. The good thing is I can now speak Spanish well, which is a thing I never thought would happen,
Don:  As usual it is good to hear from you.  You keep sending me these little titbits of personal history.  What we really need for you to do is to type out for Ladislao a two-page history of “Douglas Houk after Mount”.
Do you not have a granddaughter at your typing disposal?
28 September
Douglas:  Hey there Don.  Here is one old boy, HOKOON I think.  He became a pilot for BWIA.
Don:  Were you going to attach a photo?
19 October
Douglas:  Well Don after I left the Mount I worked at a jewellery store and then as an office boy running here there and everywhere.  I quit and got an offer to train at an oilfield job working on a drilling rig.  This was in Oklahoma and this white boy hates the cold.  I moved south and went to Houston where I met some people who talked me into starting an inspection company with them and that was my start in the oilfield.  From there I went to Singapore where I started making some money and did pretty good. But all the work was in Indonesia I so I moved there and I really liked the place and made some money which was the reason I went there.   So mission cumplido.  Right now I am in Houston and this is where I will be for the rest of my days.
Don: Interesting, Douglas. But, I thought you spent several years in the US Navy.  Or, am I mixing you up with someone else?
23 October
Douglas: Well Don when I left the Mount I went to a remedial school and got out pretty quick.  I got a job and worked at Y De limas and got out tout suite.  Then I took a course doing oil field inspection.  I took a course and got a job fairly quick.  I liked my job and I worked my ass off.  My boss asked me if I would like to go to Indonesia and I jumped at the chance.  So I went there and there and took my wife and 5 year old son.  They liked the place so I rented the house.  I liked my job which was oil tools inspection and my daughter was born there.
23 October
Don:  I think you have now given me enough titbits for me to send your news to Ladislao so he can put it in the Circular for all your old Mount friends to be able to catch up with your story of life after Mount.  I have tidied up the spelling and punctuation a bit.  Please tell me if it is okay to send it to Ladislao.
31 October
Douglas:  Well Don my life was a pretty boring one as far as I see it.  I never thought I would live this long but now I guess I’ll end up living on the federal payroll.  But I WILL  ot like it.
Jesus help me.
31 October
Don:  I know what you mean.  Fortunately for me, my expiry date is written on my pacemaker battery.  I do not intend to renew it when it runs out.
I take it this is your response to my last letter when I asked your permission to pass on your story to Ladislao.  I take it this is a yes?
8 November
Douglas:  Well, Don, hope you have all your need about my time after MSB, but the times then were definitely, as Bob Dylan said, a changing.
---------------------------------------------------
Alan De Verteuil
Sent:    Wed 1/21/09 8:24 PM
Hi,
I believe that the pilot was Alistair - but my brothers would know better - Ian, Maurice, David and Michael all went to MSB.
They are all on Facebook - why don't you look them up.
Alan
--------------------------------------------------------------
Kazim Abasali <empowerwithart@gmail.com>
Jan 24 at 12:10 PM
Hi Glen,
You seem to be hiding under a rock and just came up.
That news is some time now..
George is still with us on email and Whatsapp, and Facebook has me, you and so many others.
We got spoil by George doing so much, it seems a shock.
Hope you are doing better our friend Glen
-------------------------------------------------------------
On Thu, Jan 24, 2019 at 4:27 PM
GEORGE MICKIEWICZ <amickiew@att.net> wrote:
Hey brother Glen….
Hope and pray that you are well. 
Humbly, I suspect that FB has survived in my absence. 
May God bless you and yours,
G
------------------------------------------------------------
From:  Glen Mckoy
Sent:  Thursday, January 24, 2019 9:22 AM
I am still in shock that Sir George is not on facebook, 
I am pondering where we go from here seriously concerned.
Thank you for so much my friend. 
Best regards
Glen.
--------------------------------------------------------------
From: GEORGE MICKIEWICZ amickiew@att.net
Sent: December 27, 2018 8:14 AM
Thanks, Kazim…
Will continue to contribute via the Circulars and stay in touch as needed via email. 
Will continue to keep you in my prayers as you continue to heal,
George.
 -----------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Thursday, December 27, 2018 3:10 AM
George,
I am very thankful for your postings and sharing on our MSB Abbey School Facebook Group.
And I appreciate you so very much.
You will be surely missed as you gave so much.
We understand your concerns and wish you the very best in your endeavors.
Continued blessings to you and your lovely family my friend.
Take care........
Kazim
 -----------------------------------------------------------
On Tue, Dec 25, 2018 at 12:42 PM
GEORGE MICKIEWICZ <amickiew@att.net> wrote:
Lots of guys
 ----------------------------------------------------------------
From:  Kazim Abasali
Sent:  Tuesday, December 25, 2018 2:37 AM
Well, who is going to hold the fort now?
----------------------------------------------------------------
On Dec 25, 2018 2:52 AM, "
George Mickiewicz" <amickiew@att.net> wrote:
Have deleted my FB account due to a series of recent security related issues
--------------------------------------------------------------.
GEORGE MICKIEWICZ <amickiew@att.net>
Dec 25, 2018 at 9:02 AM
Have deleted my FB account due to a series of recent security related issues and not willing to have my information shared with businesses, political parties, etc. to which I did not agree.
-------------------------------------------------------------.
laszlo kertesz  <kertesz11@yahoo.com>
Dec 25, 2018 at 10:32 AM 
I agree with you George
Ladislao 
----------------------------------------------------------.
Don Mitchell  <idmitch@anguillanet.com>
Dec 27, 2018 at 6:56 AM
Good for you, George. 
Facebook is (as one of our semi-literate government ministers put it recently in a written memo) such a ‘waist’ of time.
Best,
Don
------------------------------------------------------------
Kazim Abasali  <empowerwithart@gmail.com>
Dec 27, 2018 at 8:37 AM
And we got to know one another George, for this I am thankful.
So, yes, let us continue to correspond in other ways to stay connected.
Stay blessed my friend. 
Kazim
---------------------------------------------------------------
Nigel Boos <nigelboos@gmail.com>
Dec 27, 2018 at 2:05 PM
Shish,
You’ve rendered a Yeoman’s contribution to the MSB Circulars and generally by keeping us in touch with connected and related stories about the OB’s and the misc. ways in which "we live and move and have our being” and we all owe you a great debt of gratitude.
Thank you, my friend, for your love and care and for being the faithful man you are.
If security has now become a matter of concern to you, then of course you have every reason to be more careful with your contributions, and I applaud you for your decision.
God be with you and your family in all that you do, and I wish you ever blessing in the New Year.
Nigel
----------------------------------------------------------
GEORGE MICKIEWICZ <amickiew@att.net>
Jan 24 at 11:45 AM
Giving this method of communication a chance as an alternate option to what we are doing now. 
I am a novice and will learn as I go. 
This was my first “Tweet”:
GEORGE MICKIEWICZ‏ @GEORGEMICKIEWI1 25s26 seconds ago
#ASMSB Starting a Twitter for us to communicate with each other with topics concerning our past, present and future as old boys and alums of that school still standing on top of that famous mountain.
Let me know if you will give it a try too.
------------------------------------------
EDITED by Ladislao Kertesz,  kertesz11@yahoo.com,  if you would like to be in the circular’s mailing list or any old boy that you would like to include.
------------------------------------------
Photos:
16LK2714FBGDI, Garnet Diaz
10LK6243FBWDI, Wbladimiro Diaz
18LK4865FBNDV, Nicholas de Verteuil
10LK8303FBMS, Mark Seheult







No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are enabled

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.