Saturday 20 April 2019

Circular No 911







Newsletter for alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.
Caracas, 20 of April 2019 No. 911
---------------------------------------------
Dear friends,
Happy birthday, Ladislao!
Here we announce that the OASIS documents and memorabilia are in the hands of Don Mitchell for processing electronically.
Also I am going to send the material in my hands to use the services of Don, who has years of practice in this type of work.
Just a reminder, I have asked through the Circular the whereabouts of the material that was brought down from Canada, specifically donated by Terrence Ferreira, is still missing.
Those in Trinidad, please look into your attic, or garage, maybe you have it. If so please ship it to Don.
From experience, the Museum shall never be built at Mount but the electronic collection can be managed just like the British Museum of Science, through internet.
---------------------------------------------------------.
From: Don Mitchell <idmitch@anguillanet.com>
Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2019, 5:06:06 PM GMT-3
Dear Old Boy,
I attach my catalogue of the OASIS documents which Nigel Boos FedExed me earlier this week.   The red comments are made by Nigel.
Kaz’s suggests that I request that you search for and scan any MSB documents relating to the School in your possession, and send them back to us in “.pdf” format. 
I would then be able to simply add them to the cumulative catalogue with a note saying who has the original.
That would save a lot of work on my part doing the scanning, so needless to say I think it is a good idea. 
It would also save a lot of work on your part packaging them up and sending the originals to me for scanning. 
Do you have any comment on this suggestion?
I have already scanned the few items I have been able to find among my old files with a minimum of effort. 
I am looking for more before I add them to the catalogue.
Any suggestions on a name for the catalogue?
Best,
Don
----------------------------------------------------------------.
From: Don Mitchell <idmitch@anguillanet.com>
Sent: Monday, January 14, 2019, 8:19:17 PM GMT-3
Dear all,
I have received Nigel’s archives.
I have undertaken to catalogue them, scan them, and circulate them to anyone who is interested.
What do you think of his suggestion below?
Best,
Don
--------------------------------------------------------.
I probably have some photos of my own.
I’ll see if I can find ‘em.
Possibly you might send out a circular asking everyone to look through their old records and send you whatever they have.
(It might be a good idea to ask everyone to write at the back of any photos they’d like to send you, some indication of who, what, when, where / how these old pictures might be understood.)
Regards.
Nigel
-----------------------------------------------------------.
Don Mitchell
Hello, Robert,
How good to hear from you after all these years.
I hope you are taking care of yourself, and that you will enjoy those years still left.
As I have explained to everyone who will listen,
I want to live for many years.
But, I will only accept the extension if I can have it at the start up :-)
All the best,
Don
------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: Don Mitchell <idmitch@anguillanet.com>
Sent: Monday, June 11, 2018, 8:15:53 PM GMT-4
Subject: Update:June 11,2018 - Mount Old Boys Reunion in St. Petersburg
Dear All,
The message below is from George Mickiewicz. 
He asks me to distribute to all my mailing list, and I am happy to do so. 
Please also read his correspondence with Donald Goddard below.
If you can make it to Florida in October, it would be good to see you there.
Best,
Don
-----------------------
MOUNT BOY REUNION IN ST. PETERSBURG, FLORIDA
Suggested date: October 14, 15, 16, 2018
Tentative List as of June 11, 2018
1)     George Mickiewicz
2)     Donald Goddard
3)     Christian Goddard
4)     Salvador Coscarart
5)     Berment McDowald
6)     Neil Charles
7)     Glen Schaefer
8)     Anthony Seheult
9)     Paul de Verteuil
10)   Azier Atela
------------------------------- 
From: George Mickiewicz
Sent: Monday, June 11, 2018 7:57 PM
Don....please forward to the oldboys, thanks
--------------------------------------------------------.
From: Donald A Goddard <dgodda1@lsu.edu>
Date: June 11, 2018 at 5:02:08 PM CDT
Gentlemen:
Paul, your note is perfect timing.
I just got in this morning from Florida.
Last week I stopped by the hotel in St. Petersburg we've considered using.
I spent the night and had dinner with Tony Seheult and his wife there. 
They drove down a short distance from Tampa. 
Here's the situation:
The Magnuson Marina Cove Hotel has advantages and a few disadvantages.
Advantages: The rooms are clean, and the food is quite good.
It has a lot of outdoor spaces for getting together and an outside bar for meeting and spending the day.
It has a small cafeteria for hamburgers and snacks and a regular, large restaurant.
It has two swimming pools.
The price is reasonable compared to those on St. Petersburg Beach tourist area.
The bottom floor rooms open to a large grass area in front of the beach.
It is located rather close to where Brother Vincent lives. 
Disadvantages are: I consider it to be somewhat run-down.
The beach area is small and not that great.
However, for a couple of days, I believe any Mount boy can survive and we'll be just fine.
The plan is to arrive Sunday (10/14), spend that evening and  dinner together with Brother Vincent, all day Monday (10/15) catching up and BSing and checking out Tuesday (10/16).
Those who wish to stay until Wednesday, it's optional.
I've attached the list of potential attendees so far.
We need to have 10 people commit in order to get the low rate ($99 +tax).
For this, they want me to sign a contract.
I suggest you wait a little bit, perhaps until  end July- early August to start making plans.
If I sign the contract and only six guys show up I'm stuck paying for the other four rooms.
If I don't sign the contract, the room rate is about $156/night.
If by early August, I we don't have 10 commitments, it's every one for themselves at the higher rate. 
Any comments and suggestions are welcome. 
George:
Could you please forward this note to Ladislao's entire list.
Thanks.
Donald G.
---------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: Paul de Verteuil <pablodevert@gmail.com>
Sent: Monday, June 11, 2018 1:15:02 PM
Hi Donald,
Hope all is well. I have not heard any updates on the Reunion and I was wondering if it is still a go for October.
I would like to start making Hotel and Flight reservations.
It would be nice to hear that it is still going to happen.
Best regards,
Paul de Verteuil 
Don....please forward to the oldboys, thanks
---------------------------------------------------------------------.
I have repeated the 2018 REUNION summary,
There were no writers at the gathering so no new additional information or photos are in our files.
The 2019 REUNION is again without invitations or follow up.
Tim Healy has made an offer and there seemed to be an interest but the Circular has not received any information.
Can anyone help? (Editor)
--------------------
Laszlo kertesz <kertesz11@yahoo.com>
To: Tim Healy
Dec 1 at 5:16 PM
Hi Tim
Nice for you to getting the new reunion started.
The Circular is ready for the news
I would like you to send me once in a while the email addresses and telephone numbers of those contacted
I do not have all the information of these old boys.
I can the send out an extra issue every two months on the advancement to the reunion
Keep in contact
God bless
Ladislao
----------------------------------------------------------------.
From: GEORGE MICKIEWICZ [mailto:amickiew@att.net] 
Sent: Monday, November 26, 2018 9:00 AM
Subject: JULY 2019 AB MSB REUNION - TENTATIVE PLANS
Hi folks,
Following up on the success of the St Petes reunion in October, Tim Healy and yours truly are in discussion about holding the next one in the Smokey Mountains area of Tennessee during the week of 30th June, 2019. 
Please pass this on to those who participated in Florida and to any other brothers in your mailing list. 
Thanks.
We will call this reunion “The Rumble in the Mountains” in honor of the beloved mountains that we climbed and surrounded us for so many years.
---------------------------------------------------------------------.
EDITED by Ladislao Kertesz,  kertesz11@yahoo.com,  if you would like to be in the circular’s mailing list This time it is not 50 words but 52 USD for the year. This money shall be used to cover the production of the 52 issues a year.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Photos:
01LK0004LKERBO, Ladislao Kertesz and Roberto Bodington
57RB0002d4, Michael King and Manuel Prada
08GS0162REUNION2008, Fr. Cuthbert
09LK1863TTVISIT, Fr. Cuthbert, Sr. Abbot and Ladislao Kertesz





No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are enabled

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.